Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Happy Halloween!


The story behind the peacock.
Last Spring, I found this peacock costume online. I instantly fell in love with it and decided that is what Emma would be for Halloween this year. It was out of stock, so I put it on my wish list and would check on it from time to time. I eventually signed up for email notices on three different websites to let me know when it came in stock. Move ahead six months... I am checking the websites almost daily even though I haven't received an email - and it is in stock in Emma's size! I ordered it immediately. When it was delivered a few days later, I was pleased to see that it was as cute in person as online. I showed it to Emma and she declared it to be "pretty". Then I tried to get her to try it on and received an adament "NO" followed by some crying. I decided to give it a few days and tried again with the same result. Finally, Matt and I decided that we just needed to get it on her and she would see that it wasn't that bad. So we put on the pretty peacock costume and Emma wailed the entire time that it was on.
It was sad and funny at the same time to see Emma so upset while in this precious peacock costume. Every few days I would show Emma the costume and she continued to say it was pretty but refuse to try it on. Finally with Halloween only days away, I was beginning to accept that Emma might be wearing her skeleton pajamas. Then while out shopping one day, I found a precious Alice in Wonderland dress that was half price at the Disney store. That would be much cuter than the skeleton pajamas if I couldn't have a peacock.
For Emma's school party, I took the dress and the skeleton and told them that she could wear either. She chose the skeleton. The Fall Festival at church was the same night, so we just kept the pajamas on for comfort.
The icing is the best part!

Daddy can't catch me!

Then Halloween arrives and Matt wants to try the peacock. We put it on with a few tears, but she calmed down quickly. Emma was ready to go Trick or Treating for the first time. She loved walking from house to house and said "Thank you" to everyone that gave her candy.

I am so happy that she ended up wearing the peacock and that we all had such a fun Halloween! I did learn a valuable lesson about falling in love with a costume for Emma - don't do it!
I have more pictures in our picasa gallery, so be sure to check those out using the link on the right side of the page.

1 comment:

Joe said...

Great Story. Good to know that with persistence you can bend her to your will, or show her the wisdom of your choice depending on how you look at it.